- RSS Channel Showcase 8349094
- RSS Channel Showcase 5202762
- RSS Channel Showcase 4783411
- RSS Channel Showcase 8933197
Articles on this Page
- 03/06/12--21:25: _K1RA as KW4VA /M in...
- 07/24/12--21:00: _K1RA 144 MHz ESkip
- 09/28/12--12:50: _K1RA mobile on APRS
- 01/04/13--15:04: _K1RA @ W1RT Rover A...
- 09/24/13--12:51: _K1RA @ K8GP SVHFS F...
- 01/27/14--10:30: _K1RA @ K8GP Rover J...
- 07/12/14--11:16: _K1RA @ W4VA Field D...
- 08/11/14--15:14: _K1RA @ K8GP Rover J...
- 01/03/15--15:45: _KW4VA WSPR Beacon
- 04/08/15--11:01: _KW4VA VaQP 2015
- 07/09/16--07:22: _K8GP Rover June VHF...
- 12/09/17--04:53: _K1RA SDR online
- 03/14/18--11:40: _VaQP 2018 APRS Mobi...
- 09/16/18--06:57: _TS-930 Mode Switch ...
- 03/06/12--21:25: K1RA as KW4VA /M in VaQP 2012
- 07/24/12--21:00: K1RA 144 MHz ESkip
- 09/28/12--12:50: K1RA mobile on APRS
- 01/04/13--15:04: K1RA @ W1RT Rover ARRL September VHF 2012
- 09/24/13--12:51: K1RA @ K8GP SVHFS Fall 2m Sprint 2013
- 01/27/14--10:30: K1RA @ K8GP Rover Jan VHF SS 2014
- 07/12/14--11:16: K1RA @ W4VA Field Day 2014
- 08/11/14--15:14: K1RA @ K8GP Rover June VHF 2014
- 01/03/15--15:45: KW4VA WSPR Beacon
- 04/08/15--11:01: KW4VA VaQP 2015
- 07/09/16--07:22: K8GP Rover June VHF 2016
- 12/09/17--04:53: K1RA SDR online
- 03/14/18--11:40: VaQP 2018 APRS Mobile Tracker
- 09/16/18--06:57: TS-930 Mode Switch Repair
VaQP is over! You can read about my weekend experience by clicking the following K1RA as KW4VA /M in Virginia QSO Party 2012. In the article you can read and learn more about my operation as well as see pictures and videos from the weekend event.
I activated KW4VA from the mobile this past Mar [...]
I was fortunate enough to catch a 2m ESkip opening on the evening commute home Tues. July 24 from about 630p to 8p local. Many locals in the Va/D.C./Md area were on from fixed locations working the opening. Locals K1HTV, K4RTS, W4CLJ, KE2N, N3ALN, N4MM, K3ZO and K4HJF among others, were all heard working the [...]
I’m now active on APRS via APRSDroid. Find me when I’m mobile. I am usually active on HF on CW or SSB. I run an Icom 706mkIIg at 100 watts with a AH-4 tuner and a 2.75m steel whip. Hope to see you on the bands!
he_track = "K1RA-4"; // track this callsign he_width [...]
Please check out my article capturing the adventures of K1RA @ W1RT Rover in the ARRL Sept 2012 VHF contest by clicking here.
1,227 total views, 4 views today
Check out my article covering the 4 hour sprint event I participated in recently. I had the pleasure of activating the K8GP contest station in grid FM19bb on 144 MHz during a spectacular tropospheric opening that occurred in conjunction with the radio competition. I captured some weather maps to explain the conditions that lead up [...]
I’m celebrating 35 yrs since I made my first SSB/CW VHF contest QSOs back as a young WB1ALW and KA1GD back in CT. This year I was fortunate enough to be able to rove with Terry W8ZN in this past ARRL January VHF SS contest. I assisted Terry in rebuilding the rover of Rich N3UW [...]
I had the opportunity to participate in the ARRL Field Day 2014 event this past June. I joined members of the Fauquier Amateur Radio Assoc. to enter in the 2A emergency power category. We operated from Crockett Park in the county, near Germantown Lake. We provided a GOTA (Get-On-The-Air) station for the public to participate, [...]
This past June I again had the opportunity to rove with Terry W8ZN. We had last roved in the ARRL Jan. VHF SS contest and had a great time and scored very well. Since the K8GP Grid Pirates Contest Group were unable to host an operation from their multi-op, multi-trasnmitter contest site in FM19bb, the [...]
With the solar flux rising again in the winter of 2014/15 I’ve finally got my Raspberry Pi microcontroller based WSPR beacon on the air. I’m generating RF on 160m, 80m, 40m, 30m at night and 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m and 10m during the day every 2 minutes using my club call sign KW4VA. The controller [...]
I organized a few fellow hams to help participate this year’s Virginia QSO Party. With the help of Terry W8ZN, Craig N4OHE and the gracious host of Jim W4RX we put the KW4VA VaQP call on the air from Jim’s shack for the weekend of Mar. 21-22. We set up a small multi-multi station with [...]
Please check out an article I posted on my time spent with Terry W8ZN as we roved in the ARRL June contest. There you will find pictures, audio and video of our operations from various grids square in western PA and VA. I have also published numerous maps and stats of the stations we contacted [...]
Back during early 2016 I invested in a Kickstater project called KiwiSDR. This project was the development of an add-on cape to a small form factor, Linux computer known and the Beaglebone Black. This hardware allows for up to 4 simultaneous online users to tune in any part of the HF radio spectrum from 0-30 [...]
I’m hoping that any stations who will be going mobile during this year’s VaQP contest will email me and consider running APRS either on 2m FM on 144.390 MHz or better yet via internet on their smart phones using something like APRSDroid (free) https://aprsdroid.org/download/ or other Android or iPhone apps.
I’ve resurrected my VaQP APRS [...]
My friend Oliver WB3KLI had a Kenwood TS-930 in which the mode switch had failed. Although it appears the mode switch is a rotary knob switch, it really turns a linkage that in turn pushes and pulls a slide switch. Since the slide switch and the linkage failed and is no longer available I converted [...]